At the end of the 19th century the building was rebuilt several times. The façade received a neo-classicist look and an enclosure was added to the side facing the street, built after drawings by Carl Hochhaus.
In the nineteen-twenties the lodge became a meeting place for many cultural activities and was well-known not just in Mühlhausen but also in neighbouring cities.
After Germany banned Freemasonry in 1935 the lodge was confiscated and the building became the property of the city of Mühlhausen. It has been subsequently used as the museum’s exhibition hall, city library, and later as storage room.
Starting in 1948 the Puschkinhaus is well-documented in the municipal archive. As with other freemason lodges in East Germany, ownership of the property was transferred to the “Society for the Study of Soviet Culture,” later renamed “Society for German-Soviet Friendship.” The construction documentation shows the conversion of the building into an arts and leisure center after plans by Reinhold Schaefer.
Dancing and sports events, lectures and open-air concerts, movie nights and the first night clubs in the seventies brought back some life into the house that eventually was named after the great Russian poet Alexander Puschkin.
Since the house was the venue of one of the international Pugwash Conferences against nuclear armament (August 26-31, 1976) it has received much attention, resulting in a “restoration Renaissance“ of the building and garden thanks to new investments.
After Germany’s reunification a successor of the Society for German-Society Friendship tried to continue using the property but eventually the Puschkinhaus was closed. In the mid-nineties the house was acquired by the Great Lodge “Zu den drei Weltkugeln” in Potsdam.
The Priory of Culture and Social Affairs (“Priorat für Kultur und Soziales e. V.”), a non-profit organisation established 1990 by the newly-founded freemason lodge of Mühlhausen, bought the property on March 5, 1999, and started extensive renovation works at the house and the garden.
The first freemason work for over 60 years was commenced on September 24, 2000, at the “old new” location.
The restaurant opened its doors the same year on December 2, and in the summer of 2002 the Puschkin garden was added, which is used as beer garden and as location for events.
In April 2006 the ensemble “Puschkinhaus and garden” was enlarged again to encompass the pension “Weidenmühle”.